Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Friends Stick Together




July 12, 2012, I wrote in my journal - Today was a good day - holding hands and jumping in the waves with my grand-daughter Klara.  As she held my hands tightly, she said, "friends stick close together."  I thought - You're so right, Klara, you're so right.

Shortly before that entry, I had a dream that I was sharing a message to young adults.  I had no plan and I was anxious.  As I looked around the room, I saw people laughing, joking and having fun.  This scripture came to my mind. Proverbs 18:24 “A man who has friends must himself be friendly, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.”
I never saw Jesus as this type of friend, but this dream spoke to me that He was.  He is relational, enjoyable, and approachable. 

Another important lesson came to me one Sunday through Times Square Church.  Mary and Martha – Martha was concerned with details, Mary was concerned with relationship.  She spared no expense, sharing with not only Jesus, but his disciples as well.  She paid close attention to Him, listening to every word. 
Luke 10:38-42 “As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.  She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Details are good, but relation comes first.


No comments:

Post a Comment