Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Reflections on Menopause



(Written 08/06/2014)

Today, I finally got it.  It used to bother me when some of my herbalist sisters would talk about the changes in women as something beautiful, the moon cycle and celebrating your first menstruation, really?  (those wacko earthy people)
After a hard week of emotional instability, something began to sink in to me.  You can choose to embrace or reject.  Rejecting emotions is a common thing.  They can be misleading.  Today my friend made a statement that stuck with me.  I was talking about some of my recent heightened emotions and she simply said, “but those emotions were still there” meaning whether they were heightened or not. 
This caused me to further examine my state of being, coming to the conclusion that “I finally get it”.  My emotions are there, heightened or buried or controlled.  The middle ground is usually preferred and considered the healthiest; however heightened emotions can cause us to learn more about ourselves.  When we ask ourselves why – why am I fearful, why am I sad, angry, irritated or joyful?
Is it good, is it bad?  How can I deal more effectively with these emotions?  What I discover can help my physical, spiritual and emotional body.  I can allow more of the things that cause joy and peace.  (In my case, resting and pampering after busy times.)  I can restrict the things that cause pain and irritation.  (Too many commitments.)  Our bodies are telling us something and we can listen.
I can work through this and yes, I can celebrate menopause. 

No comments:

Post a Comment